Re: Connection Design for "Band" Around Round Wood Column Splice

Bill:

I just recently did this on a log A-Frame building.  The way I approached this was basically a force couple.  Take the moment and divide it by the depth of the member.  Or if the orientation is off, the depth form one line of connectors to the compression face.

Remember you need to develop fixity on both sides of the splice.  The moment wasn't very large so we only used (3) "rows" of lag bolts w/ (4) bolts at 90 deg each row.  These were 16-18" diam logs with a relatively small moment so plenty of room for penetration.  Otherwise I would have gone to thru-bolts but that would have been more complicated.

Hope some of this helps.

Seth

Seth W. Cutler
R. L. Morrison Engineering Co.