Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 7:34 PM
Subject: Guardrail Perforated Infill Panels

I have a situation where perforated steel 16 gauge panels are specified as the infill panel for a stairs guardrail. The contract documents require the infill panel to support a prescribed design load of 200 lbs applied over a 1ftx1ft area. The problem is how to do you analyze this material? I can determine the geometric properties assuming a solid sheet and then apply a reduction factor based upon the opening areas but I'm wondering if this is realistic. I also believe that the perforated panels are not considered "structural" so attempting to analyze could be problematic. Any suggestions are appreciated.

TIA,
Charles Canitz, PE
Annapolis, MD