RE: Moment Footing w/ No Vert. Load

I would estimate the weight of your footing, pier and overburden and use that for your vertical load. Revise your estimated vertical load as you zero in on the exact footing size.

Jim K.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Moore [mailto:ae1188(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 10:30 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Moment Footing w/ No Vert. Load

All the references I've seen for spread footings resisting moment use the
vertical load to calculate eccentricity.  I need to design a footing for a
post that will have a lateral load only (from a cable at the top).

Can someone describe or give reference to a methodology for this case?  I
plan on a rectangular footing with a pier.

Thanks.

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.