RE: Moment Footing w/ No Vert. Load

Aaron,

As Bill stated you just have the weight of the footing and depending on that
weight you can calculate the soil bearing pressures from the moment.  It
could either be trapezoidal or triangular but probably triangular without
more vertical load.  You just have to be sure that in summing your vertical
forces you don't have tension (uplift) in the soil.  It's just a matter of
statics.

Also, as Bill stated, the pole footing would probably be a good solution.
You can find that in Section 1806.8.2.1 or 2 of the UBC, 1997 Edition.

Jim Persing, PE