Re: Moment Footing w/ No Vert. Load

Aarron:

Just draw a free-body diagram. Guess at the first spread footing size, which will give you a weight plus whatever your post and pier weighs. Easy to set up on a spreadsheet. Keep adjusting the footing size until you have a good factor of safety and your soil bearing pressure is under whatever your soil engineer has provided you with. What you will end up with is a overturning moment (about the bottom of the footing) and a resisting moment (about one edge of the footing). From there you can get more sophisticated, such a modeling with springs if you think that the structure warrants this.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates

I know a lot of fellows are suggesting drilled piers, but they might not work is you have might have rock just a few feet down from the ground surface. We've run into this situation a few times in this last year. Also had problems where the ground water came to the surface.