Re: Guardrail Perforated Infill Panels

It is quite interesting problem. Infield is usually
filled at the perimeter into U-Channel frame, which is
welded to the posts and longitudinal pipes. The panel
itself will be in tension, so the stress will be well
below the metal strength. What about welds?
Everyone knows it is good enough, but how to prove it?
Similar problem is with wire mesh or expanded metal
infields. Both are kept inside the U-Channel by
friction. Has someone any calc experience with this?

John W. Sieszycki, P.E.