RE: Wood Creep

The address should be http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/pubs.htm

Albert

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 6:12 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wood Creep

Peder,

See Chapter 4 (page 37 et. seq.) of the "Wood Handbook" published by the
Forest Products Lab. which is available free from the FPL web site,
<http://www.fpl.gov>.  Creep is related to sustained stress, temperature and
humidity.  Here in the dry desert, I will typically use a multiplier of 2 to
account for creep.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Peder Golberg wrote:

. > Anybody know of the relationship between wood creep and the species of
. > wood?  Is creep based on Modulus of Elasticity or something else.    I
. > have a long span glu-lam beam (46 ft long) that is Alaska Yellow Cedar.
. > This beam is protected from direct rain (wind might cause rain to hit
the
. > beam) and it is located outside and in always sunny Portland, Oregon
. > (FYI, it is raining very hard outside right now).   I planned/designed
. > for a camber of 1.5 times the dead load deflection to account for some
. > creep but the actual creep after one year is about 1 1/2 times the
. > calculated dead load deflection.   The camber was there originally
. > (although it wasn't measured) and the beam wasn't installed upside down.
. > The gutters that once drained water now don't based on the deflection.
. > Is creep different for Cedar compared to Douglas Fir besides in the
value
. > for Modulus of Elasticity?