Guardrail Perforated Infill Panels

Charles,

As John Sieszycki pointed out, the edge conditions will be important.
Any calculation done will have to account for what edge restraint you've
got.  All in all, this sounds like a very difficult problem to calculate
accurately.

This is probably one of the few times where it's actually cheaper and
easier to just test an assembly rather than calc it out.  I'd have a
couple panels assembled and tested: one with the load at midpanel and
one near the edge.  I would take care to have the load applied by, say,
an airbag rather than a mandrel, as the mandrel would concentrate load
at its corners.

Just as a guess, the engineer who wrote the spec probably didn't think
about it hard enough to require deflection limits, so I'm guessing that
any reasonable weld or fastener spacing around the perimeter will
survive the 200 pounds plus a reasonable factor of safety.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota