Re: Moment Footing w/ No Vert. Load

It's close to a power conduit so a backhoe is more desireable. Now that I think of it again, though, it would be possible to excavate to the conduit and auger from there. It would require a drill rig I would expect, versus a loader with an auger attachment. I'll look into it. Thanks.

From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Moment Footing w/ No Vert. Load
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:12:47 -0400

Aaron,

Is there any reason you can't drill a caisson and embed the post in the
caisson?

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Aaron Moore wrote:

. > All the references I've seen for spread footings resisting moment use the . > vertical load to calculate eccentricity. I need to design a footing for
. > a post that will have a lateral load only (from a cable at the top).

. > Can someone describe or give reference to a methodology for this case? I
. > plan on a rectangular footing with a pier.

. > Thanks.