elevators

Jason,

I don't deal with elevators often, but unless you are dealing with bedrock
subsurface conditions, it seems that a traction elevator is rather expensive
for a 5-story building.  IIRC, hydraulic elevators are the more economical
units for this height range.  Telescoping tubes permit rather shallow
embedment depths.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jason Kilgore wrote:

. > I'm doing preliminary design work on a 5-story structure.  It will have a
. > traction (cable) elevator, which hasn't been designed yet.

. > Does anyone have any rules-of-thumb for preliminary elevator loads so I
. > can get rough sizes? Maybe something based on square feet of elevator
. > floor and total number of floors?