Re: Delaware Association of Professional Engineers

In my humble opinion, if there are specified
prerequisites for licensing, no one should be
exempted.

Rather than exempting academicians, I would even go so
 far as to suggest they they be required to obtain
licenses to teach.

Academicians are important people.
They deserve better status in life and deserve to earn
more than they now do.
They shape the future generation.
It is therefore essential that requirements for
entering this profession be stringent.
Instead we are considering relaxing the requirements
to enter another different world altogether.

Very few of my teachers have been really competent to
teach, and we simply adored the few who could.
Most were simply unable to communicate effectively
though some of them may have been knowledgeable.
In real world professional engineering practice hardly
5 to 10 percent of one's time is involved in analysis,
which is the academician's forte.
So why should academicians be exempted?

In India we have this sickening (to my mind) practice
of Universities awarding Honorary Doctorates to actors
and politicians.

Let us honor them by all means, but why a PhD?

I would not like the engineering profession to exempt
any one from the requirements needed for professional
status.
Do Doctors do so?
Do lawyers do so?
My two cents.