RE: Hardy Frame Shearwall System

It requires the use of R=4.4, which depending upon the jurisdiction will
require all of that orthagonal direction to have a 5.5/4.4 increase
(assuming that you are using wood framing elsewhere) or at least all of
that shear line.

Be aware of relative stiffenesses, ie.- don't use a hardy frame in
conjuction with a wood shear panel on the same shear line.

Be very careful of hardyframes on the second floor or hardyframes
bearing on top of wood floor framing.  We specifiy full depth PSL below
all hardyframes at wood floors, which will hopefully control deflections
and eliminate shrinkage (this may be a requirement of the ICBO report as
well)

Also be careful to load the frames correctly.  We only use drag strut /
collector beams with adequate size to resist some of the torsional
effects that will develop from the shorter frames. Ie.- if you fasten
them directly to the top plates, I believe that they would likely twist
out of plane when loaded to capacity.

Get hardyframes installation details, they have some pretty helpful
details on connections to typical framing available in autocad files.

Good luck

Patrick Clark, P.E.
Building Concepts, Inc.
1228 Pep Circle