Re: Hardy Frame Shearwall System

In addition to what Patrick noted, floor heights are a concern.  If you not using standard floor to floor heights, you can only shim it so much.  I know Simpson has a 6" rule for their panels but I'm not sure what Hardy's is.  We also use only PSL beams underneath to provide full bearing as well as solid material for the hold-down to pass thru.

Stacked walls are also an issue.  The panels must stack directly over each other or aligned one end of the upper panel with the other end of the lower panel.  So a 24" panel would not stack over a 32" panel.

We actually prefer Simpsons because they're made of wood and are great for retro-fit jobs.  Only 3 1/2 " wide so they can fit in a 2x4 wall without disrupting siding on the exterior.  But we do use HF's when we need that higher load.

Seth