RE: City of Los Angeles hillside ordinance

Nels,

Thank you for the reply.

My problem is with the defenition of the primary strut. If the primary strut
is directly connected to the uphill foundation to carry the tributary loads
from the diaphragm and any wall above it, do we still need a lateral
resisting element below it to carry the same load?

The primary strut is not required if a foundation stem wall is directly
connected to 70% or more of the diaphragm depth. Does this mean that a
primary strut alone is also acceptable if I don't have ANY stem wall
connected directly to the diaphragm?

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA