Re: Pile Design

The correct terminology for such a  cast-in-place deep foundation system
is cast-in-place drilled piers and not piles.

The moment and shear capacities of the piers are a function of the
capacity of the dirt surrounding the pile.

The piers are design using PCA-COL for the moment from the moment vs
depth curves provided by the geo-tec and the axial demand could be
conservatively - the allowable capacity in bearing or skin friction or a
combination of both with suitable reductions per the geotec
recommendation. For the strength level design of the pier use
appropriate load factors.

Depending  on the shear demand (lateral or sliding) at the top of the
piers adequate shear reinforcing (shear friction) needs to provided.

Hope this helps.
Nitin

swijay(--nospam--at)fdgoc.com 09/22/03 09:46AM >>>
I am looking for a reference or methodology for the design of concrete
cast in place piles. I  appreciate for the help and info.

Shamini A. Wijay P.E,
Project Engineer