From: Haan, Scott M. [mailto:HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 3:26 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: special inspection - anchors designed by IBC 1913?

Hello:

Can't recall if I had heard this question before.  International Building
Code [IBC] Table 1704.4 indicates continuous special inspection for bolts
installed in concrete where the allowable loads have been increased per IBC
1912.5.  For seismic forces the anchors need to be designed per IBC 1913
according to IBC 1912.1.

Does this mean that if anchors are designed per IBC 1913 that special
inspection is not required? Where does the code say that special inspection
is required for anchors designed per IBC 1913?  Thanks.

Respectfully,

Scott M. Haan P.E.
Chief of Building Inspections
Municipality of Anchorage