Re: City of Los Angeles hillside ordinance

Oshin,

It seems that you are saying that the Uphill Wall and its Foundation is
being designed to resist the entire Base Shear of the house in the
down-slope direction; the only lateral load resisting element below the main
level floor is the Uphill Foundation.  What is the reason for such an
unconventional system?  I can imagine it's this: that the designer wants
openness, unobstructed by stem walls and shear walls, below the main level
floor.

It seems like a system that needs to be understood by the Geotechnical
consultant so that appropriate recommendations can be made regarding
restraint of the wall against sliding down the hill.  Are you using tieback
anchors?

If you can show by computations that it works without Primary anchors and
stem walls, it sound O.K. to me.  Good luck in proving the system to the
planchecker; it seems pretty likely that the planchecker will expect you to
comply with the Hillside Ordinance and will not want to look outside the
Hillside Ordinance to justify alternatives.

Nels

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA