RE: 2003 IBC - Importance Factor & Base Shear

Thanks. The confusion was my not realizing the code sends you to ASCE for ELF.

From: "Meyer, Albert" <AMeyer(--nospam--at)CagleyHarman.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: 2003 IBC - Importance Factor & Base Shear
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:31:41 -0400

Sorry. I was looking at IBC 2000. When looking at IBC 2003 it appears that simplified procedure analysis is listed but, as an example, for design by the ELF method you are referenced directly to ASCE 7 (note that the reference is ASCE 7-02). In ASCE 7-02 the equations for Cs do have the I value in them (V=CsW)

Albert J. Meyer, Jr., P.E.
Senior Project Engineer
Cagley, Harman & Associates
Structural Engineers / Parking Consultants
1015 West Ninth Avenue
King of Prussia PA 19406-1222
ameyer(--nospam--at)cagleyharman.com
(610) 337-3360