flexible vs. rigid single plate shear connections

I have some wide flange beam to HSS column moment connects that require a shear connection design.  The connections are at the roof level and some are not backed up by a beam connected on the opposite side of the column.  I would have thought that this would be considered a flexible connection, but page 4-97 of the HSS manual leads me to question this thinking.  Can someone clarify what is meant by "Tabulated values for flexible supports should be used only when the column itself is considered flexible at the connection".

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
1584 Weaversville Road