WOOD: Visually Graded Lumber - "Ripping" of Dimension Lumber

Someone mentioned here awhile back that if you take a dimension lumber “board” such as a 2x8 and rip it lengthwise, the piece is no longer “graded” per the visual (or I presume, machine) grading standards, since imperfections in the wood that go into the grading of it are not uniform across the section. You could have one piece with a bunch of knots in it, for example, while the other is relatively free of them.

I am trying to find “chapter and verse” where this occurs in the literature. I assume it is a “PS” standard or similar put out by AWS.

Can anyone help me?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

Polhemus Engineering Company

Katy, Texas USA