Re: Dry Lumber

Dennis,

The kiln dried lumber that I've been able to find available is dried to a
moisture content of 15% to 19%, 19% guaranteed.  I found that this is true
in Vegas as well as other locations.  If you know a source that may have
drier lumber, I'd like to be able to give them a call.  I could work with
10% to 12%.

My copy of the "Wood Handbook -- Wood as an Engineering Material" [1999 by
the Forest Products Society] has a table of equilibrium moisture content for
wood in outdoor atmosphere for about 50 U.S. cities, with a monthly listing.
Las Vegas is the driest in the list, Phoenix is next.  Palm Springs and
Tucson are not listed.

Monday, I plan to visit a dealer in salvaged items from historic houses.  He
says he has rough-size roof-framing lumber in the species, sizes and
quantities I'm looking for.  It will probably be at a higher equilibrium
moisture content than the Death Valley environment, but it will have the
advantage of having been dried to the core, from being in an attic in So. CA
for 80 or 90 years.

Nels

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer