RE: Dry Lumber

Dennis Wish wrote:

. > Roger Turk in Tucson has more rain in his area and greater humidity that
. > we have in the Mojave Desert (he is in a Sonorian Desert) but I think he
. > designs mostly with kiln dried lumber as well.

Hi Dennis,

Since it has only been relatively recently that a limiting moisture content
has been specified for kiln dry lumber other than by the Southern Pine
Inspection Bureau, no, I don't specify kiln dry lumber because the chance of
getting it in all of your pieces is as good as finding a snowball in hell.
With current grading rules, kiln dry lumber, IIRC, has to have less than 12
percent moisture *when graded* and could have considerably more when it
arrives on site.

I specify that the lumber be graded "dry" and hope that it was not subject to
rain or snow while being transported or stockpiled.  "Everybody" knows that
it doesn't rain in the desert southwest (even during the summer rainy
season), so lumber is stockpiled on site without protection.  "Everybody"
knows it won't rain overnight, so structures are not dried-in at the end of
work each day, regardless of what the specifications may say.  It is rare to
even see stockpiled lumber on site stickered.

If a client wants pieces larger than 4 X 12's, I make them aware in writing
that the piece is subject to splitting, checking, shakes, warping, cupping,
twisting and just about every other visually bad thing that can happen to
lumber.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona