WOOD: Visually Graded Lumber - "Ripping"

Bill,

Basically, if you rip a piece lengthwise, you are repositioning the knots
with respect to the edges on the piece.  Knots which may have been center
knots could now be edge or spike knots; loose knots permitted in the center
could now be prohibited loose knots at the edges.  ASTM D245 describes where
in the piece knot provisions change.

PS20-2002(? My copy of PS20 is in the office and I'm not) basically says very
little about detailed grading of lumber, but specifies the agencies
responsible for writing the grading rules for various species.  For example,
WCLIB writes the grading rules only for Douglas Fir (Coast Region), WWPA
writes grading rules for other western species, SPIB writes the grading rules
for Southern Pine, etc.

I doubt if AWS has anything to do with it (AWC maybe, but not AWS <G>).

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Polhemus wrote:

. > Someone mentioned here awhile back that if you take a dimension lumber
. > "board" such as a 2x8 and rip it lengthwise, the piece is no longer
. > "graded" per the visual (or I presume, machine) grading standards, since
. > imperfections in the wood that go into the grading of it are not uniform
. > across the section. You could have one piece with a bunch of knots in it,
. > for example, while the other is relatively free of them.

. > I am trying to find "chapter and verse" where this occurs in the
. > literature. I assume it is a "PS" standard or similar put out by AWS.

. > Can anyone help me?

. > William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.