RE: Dry Lumber

Nels,
Humidity changes in the Las Vegas area. I've been there during long
periods of rain, snow and weather that is different from Death Valley
(the Mojave desert) and the Palm Springs area which has less rain than
Phoenix or Tucson. Arizona is prone to summer monsoons which brings a
lot of rain. Comparably, Palm Springs has less than an inch of rain a
year and is considered the low desert at the southern tip of Death
Valley (Joshua Tree National Monument etc.). California does have a
small amount of desert that obtains more rainfall or moisture from
Mexico and is considered part of the Sonoran desert - this is in the
Imperial Valley area closer to Yuma.

I guess what I am saying is that you should be able to work well with
kiln dried wood between 12% and 15% depending on how long it is exposed
to weather in Vegas. Houston Lumber is one source that has a warehouse
in the Palm Springs area as well as in Vegas
(http://www.achoustonlumber.com/about_us.htm).

There is also a company called Desert Lumber which is located in both
Reno and Las Vegas.

Another thought that came to mind is that you might try and find a
source in the Vegas area for reclaimed lumber - that which was taken
from old demolished homes. This is a good lead especially if you are
seeking full sized lumber.

Hope this helps.
Dennis