From: Jason Kilgore [mailto:jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 07:24
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Why more Sheathing than in Zone 4???????

One reason you see houses fully sheathed in plywood is cost.  A fairly short time ago 3/8" plywood cost less (installed) than 5/8" type X gypsum sheathing.  A few years ago I designed an apartment complex in Kansas City using gypsum shear walls (exterior and interior), then the contractor decided to sheathe the exterior entirely with plywood.

That's not the case any more - since our favorite Uncle just bought all the available plywood to rebuilt Iraq, prices have skyrocketed.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.