Re: Why more Sheathing than in Zone 4???????

Actually, I think the sudden rise in plywood prices might have more to do with hurricane season (and hurricane Isabel in particular) than with rebuilding Iraq.

Tripp Howard

Jason Kilgore <jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com> wrote:
One reason you see houses fully sheathed in plywood is cost.  A fairly short time ago 3/8" plywood cost less (installed) than 5/8" type X gypsum sheathing.  A few years ago I designed an apartment complex in Kansas City using gypsum shear walls (exterior and interior), then the contractor decided to sheathe the exterior entirely with plywood.

That's not the case any more - since our favorite Uncle just bought all the available plywood to rebuilt Iraq, prices have skyrocketed.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.

Tripp Howard