WOOD: Visually Graded Lumber - "Ripping"

Title: WOOD: Visually Graded Lumber - "Ripping"

From the 2001 NDS section 4.1.7.1, "When structural lumber is resawn or remanufactured, it shall be regraded, and design values for the regraded material shall apply."

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media
AF&PA/American Wood Council
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036
P: 202-463-2769
F: 202-463-2791
http://www.awc.org

*********************
The guidance provided herein is not a formal interpretation of any AF&PA standard.  Interpretations of AF&PA standards are only available through a formal process outlined in AF&PA's standards development procedures.

*********************

Bill Polhemus wrote:

. > Someone mentioned here awhile back that if you take a dimension lumber
. > "board" such as a 2x8 and rip it lengthwise, the piece is no longer
. > "graded" per the visual (or I presume, machine) grading standards, since
. > imperfections in the wood that go into the grading of it are not uniform
. > across the section. You could have one piece with a bunch of knots in it,
. > for example, while the other is relatively free of them.

. > I am trying to find "chapter and verse" where this occurs in the
. > literature. I assume it is a "PS" standard or similar put out by AWS.

. > Can anyone help me?

. > William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.