PCI/ PCA Embed Bolt Design

Title: Message
Listees:

I seem to remember someone mentioning this a while back regarding PCA, but I cannot search the archives now for some reason.

Specifically, embed bolts or headed studs in shear, there is an issue with edge distance. One part of the equation gets reduced due to increased edge distance. In PCA/ACI 02 Appendix, this is the Avo factor. In the new 5th edition PCI this is the de factor (edge distance) which when it increases it decreases your reduction factors for shear, Cw, Ct and Cc.

Bottom line, it does not seem like you get the correct amount of increased shear by increasing the edge distance. There is just not enough return on the increased edge distance. Anyone familiar with either source will know what I am talking about if you have ever played around with the numbers or tried to design something in shear. I would go into more detail with my question but it is kind of complicated. But basically if you are curious, set up an equation in either source and increase your edge distance and see what happens. Is there an erratta for either source that straightens out this issue? I have some erratta for PCA and we just requested it for PCI.

Thanks in advance, and it is good to be back on the list. I just switched firms (for the first time in my career) and it took me a while to get set up here..

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL