From: Bill Allen
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 1:06 PM
Subject: Proposed roof design

Ladies and Gentlemen;

An architectural client of mine is proposing an unorthodox (to me) roof design and has asked me to review. I have some concerns, but I thought I would solicit comments from the engineering community before I responded.

When he first described the system to me, I thought the sheathing would be applied directly on the roof rafters.

See: http://members.cox.net/ballense/roof.htm

Criteria:

UBC/CBC 70 MPH Wind, Exposure C
Seismic Zone 4 (although residential construction and diaphragm shears should be small < 150 PLF).

Your comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/