FEMA 310 Replacement?

I've been asked to evaluate an old building based on FEMA 310, Handbook for
Seismic Evaluation of Buildings -- A Prestandard.  I've recently received an
announcement of new publications from ASCE; it includes SEI/ASCE31-03,
Seismic Evaluation of Existing Buildings.  The announcement states that it
is intended to replace FEMA 310.

What kind of recognition does the SEI/ASCE publication have as the document
to be used in lieu of FEMA 310?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA