RE: Strap Bracing for Metal Stud Wall

Bill,

Yes, Section 2213.8.5 gets you out of the compression requirements but only
for 1 & 2 story buildings.  The R factor just gets you the design seismic
loads.  The Omega_sub_o still has to be applied on top of that.  It's my
understanding that tension only braces do not do well in earthquakes and the
code is now not too friendly to them.

You joked about seismic zones 3 & 4 and I had never really looked any
further -- until now.  Section 2214.6.5 has a similar limitation for 1 & 2
story buildings but the referenced section there does not require
compression braces so I'm not sure what it's really trying to say - doesn't
make too much sense to me.  I'll probably re-post the question when I get a
project in 2B and I need steel tension braces :o)

Jim