Re: FEMA 310 Replacement?

Nels,

As Thomas pointed out, FEMA does not create standards.  It is left up to
other organizations such as ASCE, ACI, AISC, ASTM, etc to create the
standards that eventually become accepted within the industry.

It was my understanding that ASCE/SEI had taken the FEMA 310 document and
was working toward "converting" it to a standard that can be adopted for
"formal" code like use.  This is similar to what ASCE 7 does with the
NEHRP Provisions (which are FEMA documents) for seismic design.  As a
result, ASCE 31-03 is likely ASCE/SEI's "conversion" of the FEMA 310
document.

As Thomas pointed out, what is required by your client is likely what you
should/must use.  The point of the ASCE document it that it gives
local/state/federal jurisdictions a formal standard that could be used as
required law (assuming it is also written in mandatory language) for
inclusion in ordanances or laws that may be passed.  For example, such a
document could be referenced in program/ordanance such as done after Loma
Prieta or Northridge quakes.  It is basically a more formalized document
that has gone through a ANSI approved standardization process, which gives
it more "force", so to speak.  And, if it is also written in mandatory
language, then it can be made part of a required program by law.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI