From: Michael Bryson [mailto:mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 6:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Butt-welding a gap

I am reviewing a welding procedure to "fill-in" a gap for a beam flange
moment connection. The gap is about 2" and it will filled in as a
butt-weld. They are claiming this is a pre-qualified weld (BU-4a-GF),
but I'm not sure that is correct.

I am wondering if some time should be allowed between passes to allow
the weld to cool? I can't find anything in the AWS for this.

(Note the connection is NOT for a seismic application.)

 TIA