From: Michael Bryson [mailto:mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 11:23 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Butt-welding a gap

This was ruled out because it was felt that two welds so close together
might cause some kind of stress concentration / notch effect. Is there
some requirement in AWS or CSA for a minimum clearance between welds? I
thought it was something like 4 times the base thickness?

Could you fill in the gap by depositing a 3/4" weld one side, then 3/4"
on the other, and then finally filling the remainder in after letting it
cool?