RE: Butt-welding a gap

Michael,

I think that you could do any kind of weld *if you run qualifying tests* on
the particular weld that you want/plan/think about using.

I would imagine that any fabricator would rather enlarge a gap, install
steel to fill the gap and use two prequalified, full penetration welds, than
to chance trying to qualify a risky weld/procedure.

Just my 1/2 cent opinion.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael Bryson wrote:

. > This was ruled out because it was felt that two welds so close together
. > might cause some kind of stress concentration / notch effect. Is there
. > some requirement in AWS or CSA for a minimum clearance between welds? I
. > thought it was something like 4 times the base thickness?

. > Could you fill in the gap by depositing a 3/4" weld one side, then 3/4"
. > on the other, and then finally filling the remainder in after letting it
. > cool?