From: 	Jason Kilgore [mailto:jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, October 07, 2003 7:44 PM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject:	Re: Thickened Floor Slabs

jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com
816-444-3144
816-444-9655 (FAX)
----- Original Message -----
From: Lester Unger
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 10:39 AM
Subject: Thickened Floor Slabs

What factors do I need to look at for 6" interior non-bearing masonry walls
on 4" floor slabs on grade? My company had some typical details of thickened
floor slabs under all 8" and 6" interior masonry walls. We no longer use
these details. Typically we put all 8" walls on wall footings and 6" non
bearing walls on 4" slab on grade. I checked the floor slab as if it were a
footing and found it to be OK with a 6" cmu wall 14' high on it. The
construction manager is insisting on the thickened floor slabs at the 6"
walls. I don't feel these are necessary. Comment would be appreciated.

Thank you.