RE: Thickened Floor Slabs

I would thicken the slab at the walls - 4" seems too thin.
-----Original Message-----
From: Lester Unger [mailto:lesterunger(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 8:39 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Thickened Floor Slabs

What factors do I need to look at for 6" interior non-bearing masonry walls on 4" floor slabs on grade? My company had some typical details of thickened floor slabs under all 8" and 6" interior masonry walls. We no longer use these details. Typically we put all 8" walls on wall footings and 6" non bearing walls on 4" slab on grade. I checked the floor slab as if it were a footing and found it to be OK with a 6" cmu wall 14' high on it. The construction manager is insisting on the thickened floor slabs at the 6" walls. I don't feel these are necessary. Comment would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Do you Yahoo!?