Re: Barn Structure

Gerard,

I did the restoration of a historical barn many years ago so my memory is not clear on many details. But we found that the corner posts were embedded, and rotten, but the majority of the posts along the perimeter were either bearing on a sill plate, or in some cases concrete that had been placed many years after the original construction. There was a loft that covered almost half of the area and most of those posts were embedded. The horse stalls were beneath the loft and all of the posts supporting the stall doors were embedded. It seems the roof structure was trussed but I don't recall the the particulars. I'll see if I can find something tomorrow. What we ended up doing to maintain the look and provide a lateral bracing system, was to replace some of the posts with Tubular Steel and skin them with the original lumber. We cut the existing posts diagonally, hollowed them out, and then put them over the cantilevered tubes to maintain the "architectural fabric" There was talk of just cutting miters at the 4 corners and cutting the faces off the posts, but the historical people wanted as few new cuts as possible and the carpenter, said he could do it without too much more difficulty. I'm not sure I have a clear picture of your roof, but might there be some way to reinforce it with rough sawn lumber that is "artificially aged" and will look the same from 18' away? Or maybe incorporate cable that is on the "dark side" of a truss or other framing element? Depending on size of lumber, and money willing to spend, connectors might be concealed.
Steve P