From: Joseph Grill [mailto:j.grill(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent:
Tuesday, October 07, 2003 10:07 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Contact loads from moving loads

Gentlemen and ladies of this fine list,

I know I am taking you California engineers away from the election this evening, but I need to ask a question that I am not too familiar with.  I have a situation where a 6200# log is moving along a support driven by chains.  The log will contact a stop mechanism which is supposed to stop the log.  The log will be moving at 200 ft/min.  I need to calculate the force on the stop.  Can you give me any help or send me to a reference that I hope I have that may explain what I need to do.  I have been looking at a 25 year old dynamics book from college, but to be honest it isn't helping me very much.  It is a little late this evening, but I need to get going on it in the morning.  I can scratch out some numbers which I think will be pretty conservative, but would like some other input if I can get it.  The stop mechanism needs to be designed after the force is determined.

Thanks,

Joseph R. Grill