ASD One Third Factor

Every now and again the question of when to use the famous 1/3 increase factor comes up on the list.  I just received my October issue of Modern Steel Construction and there is a very nice article that summarizes the load combinations and provides guidance on the 1/3 factor for all the current and recent past codes such as UBC, BOCA, NFPA, IBC, SBC, and all  the flavors of ASCE-7.

The article can be download for free at:

http://www.aisc.org/MSCTemplate.cfm

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting