Re: Plan Check (was Re: Rigid Wood Diaphragm?)

You are correct Charles, may be I defined plan check in too broad a term. However, As long as the comments add value to the design and are not "nitpicky" whether you call it peer review or plan check doesn't matter. Most projects do not get peer review and plan check is the only option to provide some checks and balances for the designer.

Ben

>>> chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu 10/15/03 05:19PM >>>
Ben -

I got the impression that the displeasure with plan check was
at the occasionally (often?) slap-dash job done by the plan
checker, a la Paul's description of the masonray to diaphragm
anchorage with no masonry present in the design.  I have also,
however, heard people complain about being required to indicate
load paths on their drawings.  I'm not entirely clear on why
this is a problem, although it seems to me that the plan check
engineer ought to be able to figure this out either from detailing
or just reading the plans.

What I have heard called "peer review" sounds more like what
you are describing, Ben.  Few people seem to have problems with
peer review, but somehow plan check gets a bad rap.  Perhaps
the issue is something that we could better address through
specialized training of plan check engineers.  Is any such
required beyond that for a typical PE?  Perhaps a more
standardized method for indicating features on drawings?

Am I wrong about my asserted definitions of peer review and
plan check?

Charley