Re: Baseplate Grouting

Two options, depending on how much you trust the contractor and how much
liability you want to take on yourself.

1. Require that all locations be inspected.  The contractor will have to
tear out enough concrete and masonry to perform an adequate inspection at
all base plates.  The contractor will scream louder than if you had hit him
with a hammer.  Then he'll call the owner and claim that because of all of
these unreasonable and unneccesary inspections he'll never be able to meet
the owners schedule and the finish date of the project will be delayed.  It
doesn't matter who messed up, the SCHEDULE is the important thing and you
can't screw with the schedule.  The owner will then put pressure on you to
be a "team player" and accept the base plates without inspection because the
contractor is a stand-up guy who claims to have done all the work perfectly.

2. Pick a random number of column baseplates (10-25%) and have them
inspected.  It would probably be wise to pick columns that are least
accessible and/or most heavily loaded, because they are the ones most likely
to have been missed.  The contractor will still complain, but maybe not as
loudly.  This requires that the EOR take some of the responsibility that
rightfully belongs on the contractor.

If you can't tell, I'm feeling slightly bitter this morning for having to
spend my time fixing contractor errors because of pressure from my clients.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com