RE: k's in LRFD Third Edition

I think that Charlie Carter answered a similar question a while back as well.  There is obviously a range of values depending on which mill, and I believe that a survey was taken of all of the mills.  The decimal numbers, I believe, are at the low end of the range (maybe the lowest).  The reason is, if you look at Web Local Yielding, a smaller k will give you a smaller capacity.  The fractional number is a round off of the high end of the range to allow for clearance in detailing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jake Watson [mailto:jake_watson(--nospam--at)comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 3:54 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: k's in LRFD Third Edition

They do mean different things.  IIRC, the decimal number is for calculations and the fractional number is for detailing (clearances etc).  To be conservative, you need different numbers for different conditions.  Remember the numbers in the tables are averages from the many mills in the industry.

HTH,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT