Welded Wire Reinforcement

Certain individuals expressed indignation and outrage because Gene Corley did not disclose the fact that he did work for the "anti-fire sprinkler campaign" when he wrote an article in the Chicago Sun-Times about fire sprinklers.  Consequently,  I indicated that I did work for CRSI in my post about fibers.

I do work (writing and editing technical documents) for a number of associations besides CRSI;  I also do work (writing and editing technical documents and marketing material) for material suppliers,  consulting companies, and contractors.  However, my posts on this list are my personal opinions; they do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any of my clients.

With respect to the use of welded wire reinforcement to replace reinforcing bar - the original post asked about the use of welded wire reinforcement in a wall.  A wall would typically be considered a structural element, and thus subject to the requirements of ACI 318.  ACI 318 requires that when yield strength is taken as greater than 60 ksi, it be measured at 0.35% of the gage length.  The yield strengths in ASTM A82 (65 ksi) and ASTM A496 (70 ksi) are measured at 0.5% of the gage length.  Thus, these numbers cannot be used when welded wire reinforcement is used in a wall.

Welded wire reinforcement is actually used quite a bit in precast structural elements, for example precast jail cells.  The mesh used in the walls looks to be something like 6 x 6- W4.0 x W4.0.  As far as I know,  the mesh is always used at 60 ksi for precast structural elements.  To use it at greater than 60 ksi would require additional testing and to my knowledge this is not typically done.

With respect to using a 12 x 12 - W18 x W18 mesh,  I don't think  this is a stock item.  Ivy steel and probably many other mesh suppliers will make mesh with any wire size and spacing you want but there is usually a (very large) minimum order for anything custom.  As a result the mesh ends up costing a lot more than bar.

Gail Kelley