Re: Joist manufacturer

Bruce Holcomb wrote:

> > I am trying to locate information on joists in an existing building which was built and added on to during the 1940's, 50's & 60's.  I found a tag with the following: 1910 167-1 SHEFFIELD STEEL CORP. in one area and others with: 1448-187-1 SHEFFIELD DIVISION & 1448-103-1 SHEFFIELD DIVISION.
> >
> > I have also found a tag with: LACLEDE X179 17720-1.

 103, 167, and 187 are SJI standard joist designations. The 50 year Steel Joist Compilation has listing for the load capacities. A 103 joist is 10" deep, a 167 joist is 16" deep and a 187 joist is 18" deep.

What depth is the X179 joist? If it is a standard depth, you might be able to estimate the load capacity.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA
a practical architectural engineer

"Education is what you get from reading the fine print;
 Experience is what you get from ignoring it."