Seismic Load Factors

Thanks to those who offered their help.

The 1.5 factors hidden in UBC 2107.1.7 and 2107.2.12 are just plain
mean.  They're just lurking there.  I can't find a similar provision in
the LFD section of chapter 21, although it requires boundary member
design.  Nice to have such consistency.

Scott, you remember correctly.  I may do a bridge problem, but it's been
10 years (yeah, I know, it's like riding a bicycle) and I never had to
get familiar with seismic bridge design stuff except for the few
problems on the SE1, for which I taught myself AASHTO seismic design
during the exam.  Exhilarating.

You are also correct about  BOCA and SBC being included.  I'll be
referring to UBC.  My point was, I need to know about UBC, not IBC,
until Friday evening.

Good luck to everyone taking the tests on Friday.  To those of you whose
states have not yet mindlessly banned HP-48's and similar calculators
for no reason whatsoever, you have my envy.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota