From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com]
Sent:
Tuesday, October 21, 2003 5:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Plan Check

My fee includes plan check response when the project is a fixed fee and usually when it’s hourly. I cannot justify to a client why they have to pay more for something that is supposed to be “Correct” in the first place. If I know I’m doing a project in an area where the plan checking is problem, I will adjust my fee accordingly at the beginning. If I don’t know anything about the jurisdiction, I will learn the hard way on the first try. I assume they are reasonable.

My biggest pet peeve that used to occur is the “2nd Plan Check” that 1 particular 3rd party entity in the bay area used to have a habit of generating. The second plan check would come up with completely new items that weren’t in the first letter. This is so infuriating. This is when I would ask for more money from the client.

They get 1 plan check response. If I don’t get it right on the first response, I do not charge. But I can’t keep going in circles when someone get’s their evil streak going and mentions new items. Each time drawings get printed and time is wasted.

I think your actions were appropriate. You said Architect, then “Designer”. I would hope the “Designer” is not really charging 200/hr. Architect, perhaps, but not “Designer”. If a stamp or seal is involved in the drawing, the owner cannot change the drawings without authorization.

Making a layperson understand what needs to change is not stepping over your authority. I call it doing your job. I do this everyday. I try to make people understand why certain things are required, and try to explain it as simply as I can. You can tell them what needs fixing, maybe I’m mis-understanding what you mean. I think you were saying was it okay to tell the owner the solutions rather than having the designer charge her to get the solutions - right?

-gerard

Lodi, CA