Re: Concrete Text Books

Naaman's new book is based on ACI 2002 and AASHTO 2003 (LRFD) and is almost
finished. I personally think this is the best prestressed concrete textbook.
Especially not many textbooks talk about new AASHTO LRFD design. By the way,
errors can hardly be found since many people had checked it.

Gerard:

Keep in mind that many times the answers provided in the back of the book
were done by some grad student for the author, usually in a short time
frame with little or not "checking".  Thus, I _ALWAYS_ treat the answers
in the back of the book and in professor's solutions guides (the one for a
basic analysis class that I taught was rather bad with lots of simple
mistakes) with some serious grains of salt.

As to Nilson's concrete book, I don't know.  He has a prestressed concrete
book which I used when teaching a prestressed course (it was the only book
that I could easily find that was in print...want to use Naaman's book
cause I was familiar with it, but it was out of print and he had not
finished the next edition...which is now available).  The Nilson's
prestressed book is OK in my opinion.  It works rather well for a basic
prestressed course, but is a little light on more "advanced" topics (but
then I am certainly no expert).  Naaman's book seems to delve a little
more into more advanced prestressing subjects, but his book is more of an
"acquired taste".  Personally, I liked it.  Since he was my prestressed
prof, I obviously used his book and was more familiar with it.  I am sure
Gail will have better insight on which prestressed book might be better
since she is more knowledgable about prestressed concrete than I (if for
no other reason than she lives in a heavy post-tensioned concrete
city...Washington DC).

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI