Re: Hardy Frames

Bill

They are very popular in Northern California. But, I haven';e seen much of them in the LA area in the short time I have been here. I personally like them. They have been extensively tested and they provide a good alternative to plywood shear walls. One main advantage is that they are not as prone to losing effectiveness due  plumbers' and other trades' cutting and drilling as in plywood shear walls.

Since they have an ICBO approval you do not need to follow the AISC seismic procedure for design, everything is spelled out in the report.

As far as drawbacks, make sure the load path is detailed very clearly on plans. We normally asked that the provide wall elevation showing how the forces get to the frame and subsequently to the foundation. That's the best way to avoid field mistakes by the contractors.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net 10/23/03 09:30AM >>>
I am looking for advice from those who have used Hardy frames in
residential construction in high seismic zones (particularly in CA with
the 1997 UBC / 2001 CBC).

I've seen the literature, scanned the ICBO report, but, frankly, I don't
pay attention to things very well until I have to use it on one of my
projects. Well, I did a stoopid thing and mentioned Hardy frames to a
client of mine and he would like to substitute all double sided shear
walls with Hardy frames.

For those of you who have used them, any pitfalls? Anything to watch out
for? Any change in the analysis? To me, they look like OCBFs requiring a
different R, requiring multiplying design forces by 1.5 (or worse,
limited applicability due to AISC Seismic Provisions), etc. but possibly
the ICBO report has avoided all of this.

Input would be most appreciated.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/