Slabs on Compressible Voids

I think there has been discussion of this in the past but I wasn't really paying attention.  Are there problems when using compressible voids (i.e. something like "Sure Void") to build a pile or pier supported structural slab over expansive soil?

Does the problem lie in estimating the amount of expansion?  Is it okay to use them on soils that are just going to settle?

What kind of guidelines are there for using compressible voids with expansive soils?

I've used them but it was on a project in Wyoming.  We didn't have any problems but then again  there was really no need for them - the soil was glacial gravel.  The engineer apparently just copied specs from another project.

Gail Kelley